And now to the matter at hand, completely unrelated to aprons of any kind: some of my favourite words.
Words are my life, you see. They're certainly my living - I basically get paid to move words around on the page. Or to say them to other people, who write them down. When it comes to words, what I say goes. (say? geddit? ahahahahaha!!!)
I'm a firm believer in the motif that the pen is mightier than the sword. Words have incredible power, and like magic they can be used for good or evil. They have the capacity to provoke emotions that weren't there a second ago. They can impart strength and structure. And some words are truly beautiful, both in the way they're spelt or in the things that they mean.
So in the spirit of sharing tiny moments of beauty, here are a few of the words that make my life more beautiful:
- plinth: what a lovely, satisfying word to say out loud
- pamplemousse: it's French for grapefruit
- oleaginous: another lovely word to say. It's oily in the mouth, just like its meaning.
- oubliette: I do love French words. This one reminds me of Labyrinth, another word I love and the film with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly is pretty good too.
- cerulean: calm, blue, peaceful. Ahhhhhh.
I could go on, but these are just a few. Even reading them now in list format, makes me happy. It makes me happy just to look at them.