Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New ideas required

Is it just me, or do other people sometimes get so used to all the stuff you make that you can't stand looking at it anymore?

I've had a similar "product line" - if you can call it that; usually I just sew what I like and if someone else likes it enough to buy it, then that's a bonus - for about a year now. And all of a sudden, I'm desperate for fresh, new ideas.

I have a few things in mind. I've never made coin purses before, or other wallet-y type things. I know lots of other people out there make them too, but I'm quite happy to add my line to the competition.

I also think I'm going to start making more of my beautiful baby cot quilts ... usually I only do these on special request, or as a present. I think though, that they're one of my favourite items, and I should make them more regularly. I really enjoy playing with all the colours and patterns and putting together a vibrant, colourful quilt top. That's the fun part - the actual construction is less fun, and usually involves a bit of muttering under my breath, but the end result is always wonderful.

I've thought about starting to make clothes, but that's something I really only do for myself; and I'd rather not take the joy out of it by making it a product line.

What do you think? What particular item have you always wanted, but never been able to find?

8 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I'd steer away from zip purses or covered journals as they're everywhere. It's not very often that you see beautiful modern cot quilts at markets - even less often that you would see one suitable for a boy!

Anonymous said...

What's happened to your redundancy story ?

flickettysplits said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
flickettysplits said...

Hi Anonymous - I received some feedback from a reader and decided to take it down for a few reasons. My role is still redundant though, so that hasn't changed. Thanks for asking - I probably should have clarified it at the top of this new post.

Finki said...

Hey flick, totally know where you are coming from. I most definitely get sick of looking at the same old stuff. keeps me motivated to continually move forward and do new things. But it's a hard job, that's for sure. You most definitely hit a wall sometimes and think "gosh...it's all been done before" but don't fret, you're are a creative soul and new direction will come from the weirdest of places...when you least expect it. I really like that I can have all my stuff at home in Olive grove instead of my study too. means others are admiring it and hopefully buying it whilst I work on new things. Maybe you should come to olive grove too ( : take all your stuff out of the house, release it upon the public, clearing a new space at home for new ideas to flourish. A great option...especially with the redundancy count down on and We do have a spot available at present...great timing I thinks ( :

Knicky Knacks said...

What about quilted sleeping bags for babys to go in the pram or even for young kids.

Isabella Golightly said...

Yeah, stay away from those zippered pouches :-)

I love the idea of cot quilts, specially the ones for boys. You've got great skills, I'm sure something will pop into your head, especially now that you're going to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of the corporate grind.

Sin Url said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this post