Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I has no oomph

I has no oomph today.

I slept badly last night - could it have been the Russian Blue pussycat in the bed overnight, snuggling his little furry body firmly against me? Why yes, I think it was.

Podae gets under the covers when it's cold, you see. He waits until I've fallen asleep and then he sneaks himself in and wedges himself in the triangle between my arm and my torso. Only his black nose and whiskers poke out.

And many years of owning pussins has trained me well in the Overnight Stowaway Cat department. I never roll over and squash him. I've been known to reflexively stick an arm out to stop My One True Love doing exactly that, before I even know I've done it - but I've never had to stop myself doing it. Consequently, the Podder knows exactly who to go to when he needs winter warmth.

I like the snuggles, but it does result in me having a lesser quality of sleep, as I'm sure my unconscious mind chants to itself throughout the night: Don't Flatten The Cat. Don't Flatten The Cat. Don't Flatten The Cat. It's got to have an impact, right?

This morning's impact is that I feel all limp and boneless. I has no energy. I has no oomph. I even has no appetite, and that's saying something.

I'm finding it hard just to sit up straight .... all I want to do is slither silently off my chair and lie in a puddle under the desk, sighing quietly to myself. It's not made any easier by my present state of mind, which simply wants to push aside all the hard decisions on my plate at the moment and just veg out. Seriously, if my brain was a vegetable right now, it would be a turnip.

Nearly one o'clock. Technically, I can go home in four hours and eight minutes.

Not that I'm counting, of course, oh no ....

5 comments:

willywagtail said...

O dear! Sounds bad.

Vanessa said...

I do the same thing with the baby! Theoretically I get some sleep, but it is never the quality that I want.....I am sure my mind chants "don't flatten the baby"!!
Hope you are well.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

yes... and with the toddler... its so cute when she snuggles in but not so vute when she headbutss me or kicks Chef in the nads!

Tania said...

Maybe, (I'm just brainstorming here), if you did flatten the cat just a little bit, (like just the tip of his tail like) you could get a bit of well earned rest?

PS. That no oomph thing? T'is the season for it. Might not be the non-flattened cat after all.

Isabella Golightly said...

I always judge the quality of my day by how many times I check Etsy... I can't update my blog or check my email at work - goodness knows the evils I may do to my corporate hell by updating my blog at work - so I do envy you... but not about the sleep thingy. Go home, go back to bed, stay there. Chuck the cat outside.