Monday, January 10, 2011

Picturing Dubai


 The pictures show the rules of the 7 individual emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates - an emirate is like an independently ruled State - and logically, it's ruled by an emir. Abu Dhabi is the capital, Dubai is perhaps the best known. The other emirates are Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, Fujairah, Umm al-Quwain and Ajman.


 Gorgeous lamps .... I'd fit out our whole house with these if I could!


 This painting shows a woman wearing the traditional face covering, which was originally made out of camel leather and then gilded. It's not her face that she is covering up - no, in fact, it is the area of the upper lip that cannot be shown to anyone. It's very sensitive and extremely private.


An extreme "I Dream of Jeannie" moment with all these lamps ....

A beautiful Arabic coffee pot and cups.

Behind the camel is the image of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

 I quite fancied this handmade Iranian hallway runner ... until I discovered it was priced at $50 000!!!

Shopping for clothes, Arabian-style.

The Emirates Towers, at sunset - I used to work here.

2 comments:

thornberry said...

I know I don't comment all that often but believe me I LOVE it whenever one of your posts pops up in my reader! I am loving reading about your time in Bahrain and environs - your writing is just so evocative and I almost feel as though I am there (and I've never been there). Thanks for all of it (even my 72 year old mother now subscribes and is loving reading about your travels too)

Unknown said...

Great photos! Love all of the lamps (what do they use them for?) as well as the Arabic coffee pot.