Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wherefore art thou, mobile phone?

Lordy, I'm in all-day training today, in a tiny little room, with no air, and I think my blood has stopped circulating to my brain.

It's the continuation of a great day, actually, and I'm being super sarcastic when I say that (just in case it doesn't come across in text).

I started out by forgetting my mobile phone. Now, in order to make sense of the desolation this is causing me, you need to know that I work in a field where I am permanently connected to my mobile phone. I live through it. The world reaches me through it. I do my job through it. I practically breathe through the thing.

Without it, I am nothing. Nooooo-oooothing.

As we speak, it is sitting at home on the furry rug on my bed, chirping dolefully to itself and wondering sadly why I am not there to pick it up and cradle it between my ear and neck. I'm sure it's very lonely - we haven't spent this much time apart for a *very* long time. Perhaps it was the last time I travelled overseas and I had to switch the poor thing off for nine hours while we flew into smoggy, smoky India. It took a while to recover from that - refused to connect to the local network in a fit of pique, until I spoke soothingly to it and twiddled its numbers until it giggled.

BUT, (and this is the very, very small mercy that I am grateful for) at least it has my office building pass to keep it company. Yes, I also left that at home today, and so I am confined within my hermetically sealed building and unable to leave as a consequence. I have to borrow a friend's pass just to get out to the bathroom.

So it's just as well I'm in this godawful training, because without my phone I can't do any work, and without a building pass I can't leave!

There's a silver lining to every cloud.

2 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

Hi there :) You are on my blogroll?!? Almost at the top, in fact. I moved you from the bottom section up to my daily reads a few days ago. Check again, and if you're still not seeing it there's obviously something weird and technological going on.

Andrea Eames said...

Let me know when you've spotted it, because I really don't want you to feel hurt and un-blog-rolled. :) It's still there! Just a new location!

A xx