Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas comes but once a year (thank god)



(with thanks to http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/ for this fantastic image).

Is it just me, or has Christmas snuck up really quickly on everybody this year?

I remember February like it was five minutes ago. In May My One True Love and I were in Coffs Harbour briefly, and surely that was yesterday. In September I did a different job for a month, and the sound of filing cabinets closing is still ringing in my ears. How on earth did we get to December so fast?

I swear that as I get older, the time zooms past quicker and quicker. My father says it's because as we age, we do less new things, and new things distract the brain. Therefore, doing less of them - and staying in our same old routine - means we don't notice our actions, and the days, in the same way.

When I think about that, it makes sense to me. Doing different things on the weekend - instead of chaining myself to the sewing machine - actually going out and doing things, seems to make the days longer and longer. Overseas holidays too; something happens to the time zones and suddenly a week seems like a month, because I'm busy looking at the Great Wall of China, or haggling over fabric in Damascus (where surprisingly, there was plenty of silk but no damask to be found), or visiting Henry the Eighth's castle in Leeds and imagining myself prancing about in a massive dress and corset and neck ruffle. Maybe that's just me.

When I was in school, six weeks of summer holidays seemed to stretch out endlessly. Six weeks! I even remember telling my mother (far more often than she'd have liked, no doubt) that I was boooooored. Dear sweet heaven, if I had six weeks holidays now I can guarantee you I wouldn't get bored. My wordy lordy me, oh no. I would find plenty of new things to do.

This year's been a bit of a funny one for me. And I mean funny as in peculiar, not funny as in amusing. I've not had a lot of time to do new things because I've been busy hanging on to the side of the ship like grim death as it tossed about in the waves. And now all of a sudden it's Christmas, and I can't believe how quickly it's gotten here.

Next year I think I will do more new things, to stretch my days out and really experience them. Gosh, what will I do? There's a whole world out there to play with! Where to start?
Hm, I think I can feel a list coming on .....

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish you all the luck and hope it is a good and health 2010. You just never know what it will bring.

I am new to your blog (a couple of months) and have really enjoyed it. Hope you have a lovely Christmas time.

Isabella Golightly said...

Sewing, sewing, sewing, sort some fabric, fold that interfacing, sort your buttons by colour, make a pile for a destash sale, find new homes for fabric you'll never use but can't sell, sewing, sewing, sewing... oh yes, have a great christmas!

bec said...

heehee, I remember those endless boring school holidays too! Fighting with your siblings on day 2, fighting up until mum and dad got home, then picking up where you left off the next day...endless hrs of nothing to do. The shame of our wasted youth.
On another note, I just bought those antlers for the animals- hope I get such a good shot!

Neen said...

The world is zooming by too fast. Somedays I have to remind myself to breath as I often don't have time to.
Twas lovely chatting to you at the market in Thornbury, I hope you have a fabulous Christmas and New Year too.