Sunday, August 2, 2009

In which I apologise for an unexpected absence ....

My goodness it's been a busy couple of days - so much to tell you about!

I've been absent from blogging (here is the apology: I'm very sorry, I really am) as the Sister Of My Heart has been visiting me in Melbourne - and we've been flat out doing lots of sitting around, reading, chatting, and eating bits of chocolate. Okay, that's not all we've done - there's been a bit of shopping, sewing and cooking thrown in there too.

Today, for example, we went to the Rose St market so I could do a reconnaisance of the venue - I'm exhibiting there at the end of August and wanted to check out the facilities so I can plan the best stock to bring and think about how to put together my stall. It was lovely running into the gals from Scrumptious, and seeing Babushka Baby and the lovely Fontok, plus a few familiar faces from other markets around the traps. And I've got some good ideas for how I can put things together on the 30th, so you'll just have to come and visit me to see how it all pans out.

Along the way we also scoured a few op shops and I scored two fantastic vintage dresses I'm going to tweak, plus an amazing orange belt I promise to show off in an upcoming post. I'm taking inspiration from the amazing Gina at Clutterpunk, whose talent for refashioning clothes is awe-inspiring. I'm not quite at the point where I can renounce all new purchases for six months, but I'm certainly impressed by her ability to do so.

Speaking of Gina, she has also won herself a little prize by being the first person to donate to my Great Apron Gathering call - I received a lovely little parcel in the mail on Friday, and inside were the two lovely pieces here in the photographs.

The one to the left here is a little waist apron made from a pillowslip, with two cute pockets in the front (beautifully modelled by the Sister Of My Heart).

And the picture at the top of this post is a fabulously colourful tablecloth which will make an IDEAL apron, being the exact perfect size for it - again, modelled by the Sister Of My Heart (yes, those are her eyebrows you can see behind the tablecloth .....).

I was going to start on the tablecloth this weekend, but then we got sidetracked with another project I'll post a photo of tomorrow ...... so check back then to see what it is!

7 comments:

CurlyPops said...

How cute is that little apron!

PS - Can you please email me your snail mail address so that I can get a package out to you before i forget.

Jennie said...

I'll definitely come say hi at Rose St, coz I'm there on September 20 and need to check it out also!

I resolved not to buy any new off-the-rack clothes this year, apart from a pair of jeans once I dropped some pregnancy weight. I've bought that pair of jeans plus a cardigan, but that's it for 2009 so far.

Finki said...

Cool table cloth.
Hey is sonny and coco still on? Mother in law wants me to get her a hoot, so I thought I could pop in there to pick one up.
Jay.

polly pratt said...

Hi,

I got some fabric the other day foran apron so i`ll getit made this week sometime and post it off to you.

Anna

Gina said...

Ooo, err, *blush*. I think my hubby is just glad to see the back of those bright-coloured linens!!
As for my 'talent' in clothes-refashioning - I really should post some of my items that didn't quite make it, the ones that are now sitting dejected in a pile waiting to become cleaning rags...
As yet I've been too scared to cut into something nice in an attempt to make it fit - can't wait to see your efforts on the vintage dresses!

Unknown said...

Love the apron ! Good luck at the markets hope you do really well .

Vanessa said...

Love it! And gave your blog address to my aunt, who is quite creative and she said to tell you that she loves your site! She has already bought some things from some of your linked sites and is coming to the markets to check out your wares. She also said to mention that she loves your way with words in how you write. I will be in Melbourne possibly in September and definitely in November, so maybe we can catch up and I can come visit you at one of your markets!! You can meet the Peanut too! Anyway, I ramble. Am looking for some teatowels, but not having much luck at the moment, but will keep looking!!
Hope you are well.
Ness xx