Thursday, March 5, 2009

My creative space

Today I'm playing My Creative Space courtesy of Kootoyoo - hop on over to her blog and check out what other people's creative spaces look like too. Her space is always so much tidier than mine!

As you can see in the photo though, my creative space is also often occupied by a cat of some kind (insert resigned sigh here).

On this occasion it's Grimth, our third puss and second British Shorthair. That is, he's the same brand as Fatpuss, but a different colour - Grimth is technically known as a lilac, but he actually looks like a deep cream or very pale chocolate. It's because he's the product of a chocolate shorthair crossed with a blue shorthair, it produces a very interesting colour. And he's got stripes, too, though they're very faint.

Anyway, enough about the pussin. I'm actually here to talk about what's under him!

You can see a collection of printed fabrics underneath his growing bulk. These are a bunch of tea-towels I picked up in Mildura on the weekend. I'm going to make them into something ... I'm just not quite sure what yet.

But I think there's definitely an opportunity to capitalise on the Australiana kitsch embodied by these souvenir tea towels. What do you think ... tote bags? Cushion covers? Laptop cases? Skirts?

I particularly like the ones that have flowers and birds on them, though I also got a few with native animals - kangaroos, koalas, echidnas and wombats - as there's always a desire for that kind of stuff overseas. I think I like the bright, vibrant colours as well; they're so attention-grabbing, and they just scream SOUVENIR!!!!!!

Whatever I end up making, it's going to go in my new Etsy shop (which is currently under construction) - watch this space ......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh your puss is gorgeous!! we have a Cornish Rex but I have always LOVED the British Shorthairs!!

flickettysplits said...

He is just adorable, isn't he!! All furry and cute with big jowls. He's going to be an enormous puss when he finishes growing ... Fatpuss better watch out ....

edward and lilly said...

Grimth is so cute! I would love a cuddle with him.

Look forward to seeing what you concoct with those lovely teatowels!

flickettysplits said...

Oh, and he would love a cuddle with you too - he's so smoochy and affectionate. He's like a purring machine, you just have to put one finger on him and all of a sudden he's revving like a tractor!

Selina said...

very cute puss! and i think laptop cases sound pretty cool. i would love to see that.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely puss!! I have two beautiful girls and a boy dog but he thinks he is a human not a dog lol. I have many tea towels in my drawer from my travels when I was young, still brand new hehehehe. What can I say you have to buy a souvenir don't you?
Regards
Michelle M

Angie said...

oh I do love these sorts of tea towels...looking forward to seeing what you create with them.

CurlyPops said...

Hmmmm I might have to come over and pinch that stack of tea towels while you're not looking!